Monday, November 26, 2007

Adventures in Blind Dating: The Group Date

My friend called me one day and asked if I would be willing to go on a blind date with her sister in law and a couple of her friends. Of course, three dates in one night! Oh, she wanted me to round up two other guys. I said yes because quite honestly I hate trying to find girls to ask out. However, I was unable to find any guys to bring along. So I called my friend back and she gave me the number of a missionary who served where she used to live. Ironically he was my brother's old companion. I began to make arrangements with the in law and the my brother's old companion. Trying to arrange six peoples schedules turned out to be an arduous task. During our conversations I learned two things, the in law was 6 foot 2 and my brother's companion seemed fruitier than a strawberry field. I told the fruity guy to bring a giant friend so I wouldn't have to be paired off with Bigfoot. Finally the day of our group blind date came. I must admit I was nervous that we wouldn't be able to casually figure out who would be paired off with who. Luckily though, nature took its course. The two giants clung to each other, the shortest girl gravitated towards me, and as luck would have it the giant's other friend was a guy, so our fruity friend seemed happy. Well, I guess technically she was a girl. When I saw my date I was disappointed and knew the night would only be going down hill. At that moment I thought I had made a mistake and wondered if I could trade in an ogre for a giant. The girls were all 19 and the other two guys were about 21. But they all acted like they were about 12. We went to dinner and then played games at my house. These people were all very loud and annoying. I could tell they were amusing themselves tremendously, but I was not having any of it. This could very well have been the worst blind date ever, not to mention the biggest waste $25.64 I had ever spent. I think if someone sets you up on a terrible blind date they should be responsible for recouping your cost. Money spent- $25.64. Time wasted-4 hours. Gas used- 1 gallon. Pain and suffering- Priceless.

9 comments:

Woodstock said...

ahahaha oh man, it could be worse

Nancy Clark said...

I really hope the next time you are set up on a blind date that your date doesn't decide to do some research on the internet... ;)

Nancy Clark said...

...that is to say, research about you that lands them on this blog :)

c.marie said...

I heard that blind dating is evolving, because there is so much of it going on due to the internet.
Here is one peace of advice. You meet for just a few minutes the first time and then contact eachother for a real date if both parties still agree or you can have time limits to pass. You agree to meet for 10 minutes and if both parties like what they see they stay for the rest of the date, but you can still leave whenever they want.
This way you could avoid being stuck with an ugly mug all night and avoid wasting money.
Exmaple:
You show up to Applebees to meet your blind date you both agree to meet for 10 minutes and have a drink if she is a beast then you beast out of there if you like what you see you order appatizers. If things are still good you get the main course and if things are really good you get dessert. Each course is like a checkpoint if she pleases you she earns a few more minutes. It is like when you are playing those racing games and get to the check point you earn a few more minutes to make it to the next one.
I also think you should have a part of your blog dedicated to the do's and don'ts of dating and an advice part like the wife advice it would just help you I think.
You are a fool for staying on the date as soon as you assessed the situation you should have left. You should have Phil call you after a few minutes when you on dates and if things are bad say the call was an emergency and run out of there you might even get away with having the girl pay for the bill. You could also do the old I have to go to the bathroom routine and never come back. This works good for movies, because you don't feel as bad, because hey she got to enjoy the rest of the movie another note always meet some where don't go together.

Recondo said...

Thats last post was mine i forgot celine used my computer

celine said...

oh tom. just fall in love already.

i liked your use of arduous.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lord Baldemort said...

P,these are good suggestions. However, you don't ever want to burn any bridges. Every hot girl has a frumpy sidekick. So if you get set up with the sidekick,be nice. Because frumpelstiltskin could be willing to hook you up with her hot friend if you play nice.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.